National Walk At Lunch Day - April 25 | Events
Got a pair of tennis shoes and an hour for lunch? Blue Cross Blue Shields is encouraging employees everywhere to take the first step toward a healthier life by going on a walk during a lunch break today.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services estimates the cost of treating diseases caused by an inactive lifestyle comes down to an average of almost $1,000 for every family in America.
"Simply getting 30 minutes of moderate physical activity, such as a brisk walk at least five times a week, has significant health benefits and lowers the risk of developing cardiovascular disease, hypertension and type 2 diabetes," a release from Blue Cross Blue Shields states.
Blue Cross Blue Shields is organizing walks in 30-minute increments at Birmingham's Linn Park starting at 10:30 a.m.
For more information, see the Blue Cross Blue Shields website.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Authorities investigate 8 school burglaries in four-county area
- FBI searches for suspect in St. Clair County bank robbery
- I-20 lanes reopen after tractor trailer fire in St. Clair County
- Vestavia Hills attorney arrested on theft charges after returning to U.S.
- Scholarship honors memory of St. Clair Co. teen killed in car wreck